Don’t you just love a beautiful salad? I love the colors and textures in this one! And look at those cute little tomatoes! And of course, don’t worry, this salad isn’t just beautiful it’s also DELICIOUS. OMG so good. Shrimp, bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado, green onions, and a dreamy creamy bacon balsamic dressing that only takes 30 seconds to whiz up. YAAAS. Amazing.
As with most of my recipes, this one is paleo and Whole30 compliant! It is also super low carb and a great recipe if you are following a ketogenic diet. This salad is also perfect for meal prep! While it is definitely great day-of, the leftovers are actually just as good! Just keep the dressing in a separate container and pour on when you’re ready to eat. Your co-workers are def going to be jealous of this one.
For the bacon in this recipe I like a nice apple wood smoked bacon. It has a nice, mellow, naturally sweet flavor from the apple wood that isn’t overpowering. Something like a hickory smoked bacon may be a little overpowering in this recipe. But it all depends on your taste!
Make sure to choose a brand of bacon that is uncured and has no added nitrates, nitrites, or MSG. Something like this one! If you want to keep it strictly paleo, also make sure it doesn’t have any added sugar. So something like this. 🙂 And as always, please choose sustainably caught seafood!
- 1.5 lb raw wild-caught shrimp, peeled
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 lb bacon, chopped, divided
- 2 large heads butter lettuce, chopped
- 1lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 oz of the cooked bacon (approx. 1 heaping ¼ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (use just a pinch if sensitive to spice)
- Dry shrimp well with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides with a bit of salt and pepper
- Brown bacon in a large skillet over medium to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. This should take about 10 minutes. Remove bacon pieces to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but about 2 Tbsp of the bacon fat. Heat the remaining fat over medium-high heat. When the pan in nice and hot, add the shrimp, one by one, leaving plenty of space in between them. Cook for about 30 seconds per side for medium-large shrimp. Adjust cook time based on size of shrimp. They are done when they are opaque throughout and pink on the outside. Take care not to overcook them. Remove to a plate. You may need to work in batches.
- Assemble your salads with the lettuce, shrimp, tomatoes, avocado, green onions, and all but 1oz of the bacon (you will need that for the dressing).
- Add all dressing ingredients to a glass measuring cup. Use a hand blender to blend it all together until the oil has emulsified. This should take about 30 seconds. That's it!!! Alternately, you can use a regular blender for the job! Just as easy.
- Pour the dressing over your salads and you're ready to eat! If making for meal prep, keep dressing separate until it's time to eat.
Did you like the recipe? Let me know in the comments below!