This is such a simple, delicious, and nutrient-packed breakfast. The secret to perfectly cooked fried eggs with crispy edges, firm whites, and yolks like liquid gold is to turn the heat up high! Yes, there will be splatter, but that’s what a splatter guard is for 😉
I like the taste of ghee or butter with eggs, but since the smoke point is relatively low, I like to add a little avocado oil to raise the smoke point. This way, you get the best of both worlds: the delicious buttery taste and a smaller chance of smoking up your kitchen. That’s a win in my book!
- 6 oz asparagus, washed, ends trimmed
- 2 tsp ghee or butter (grass-fed recommended)
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 2 large eggs (pastured, organic recommended)
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Steam asparagus for 2-3 minutes in a medium/large pot using a steam basket.
- Remove asparagus to a plate.
- Melt ghee or butter and avocado oil over medium-high heat in a medium skillet. Place splatter guard on top to keep your cooktop clean!
- Once the pan is nice and hot, but not smoking, add eggs to the skillet one by one. Make sure there is enough space between them so they don't run together.
- Let the eggs cook for 1-2 minutes until the white is almost completely cooked through and the edges look crispy.
- Carefully flip the eggs using a thin spatula.
- Allow them to cook for another 30 seconds, then slide them off the skillet directly onto your plate.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper to taste.