There’s nothing quite like cozying up with a blanket and a nice mug of hot chocolate when it’s cold outside. Hot chocolate is a winter essential and there is no reason that anyone should miss out just because of dietary restrictions. My paleo hot chocolate recipe is dairy free, lightly sweetened with maple syrup, and doesn’t have any questionable ingredients like the store-bought stuff. Oh, and it’s really easy and quick to make!
This recipe makes a rich, decadent hot chocolate. Similar to French hot chocolate. It’s so good! If you prefer a thinner hot chocolate, feel free to add more water to the recipe and sweeten with a little more maple syrup or liquid stevia to taste.
For the best taste, make sure to use high quality ingredients here. That means real vanilla extract, real maple syrup, high quality dairy free dark chocolate that’s low in sugar, and coconut milk from a reputable source that doesn’t have any weird ingredients.
I usually use Lindt 85% dark chocolate in my recipes. It is not strictly paleo because it does have a little bit of sugar in it. But that is what I generally use because it is easy to find, dairy free, and I don’t follow a strict paleo diet. For dark chocolate that is completely paleo and free from refined sugar, check out Pure7 Honey Sweetened chocolate.
I love to serve this hot chocolate with a little whipped coconut cream, but that is totally optional, of course!
- 3.5 oz (100 g) dairy free dark chocolate
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Using a sharp knife, chop chocolate into small pieces.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, water, maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt.
- Bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat.
- Add chocolate and cocoa powder and whisk until chocolate has melted.
- Once it looks well-combined, remove from heat and pour into glasses.
- Serve with whipped coconut cream, if desired.
Did you like the recipe? I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments section!
*Disclosure: Kit’s Coastal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.