True story: my husband hates beets. So what do I do when he’s not home? I make beets. Pretty much every time. I love them! I haven’t met a root vegetable that I didn’t like, but beets are definitely one of my favorites because of their earthy, sweet taste and pretty deep red color. Can you tell I’m a sucker for pretty colors?
Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs to use in conjunction with beets. It brings out the sweet taste and compliments the earthy flavor perfectly. Add some butter and lemon zest and you’ve got the perfect side dish for your next dinner. I love this paleo-friendly dish with a good steak and a side salad.
- 4 Tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee, melted
- 6 medium beets
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 4 sprigs rosemary, stems removed and minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ lemon
- zest of 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Peel beets and cut into 1" pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush on a thin layer of the melted butter using a pastry brush.
- Add beets and garlic to the baking sheet.
- Brush on the remainder of the butter using a pastry brush, evenly coating all the pieces.
- Sprinkle with rosemary, sea salt, and pepper.
- Bake at 400°F for 35-40 minutes, until all pieces are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven and squeeze half a lemon over the beets.
- Dust with lemon zest & serve!
How did it turn out for you? I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments section of this post!