I love a nice, quick weeknight dinner recipe, but I really dislike boring flavors and ingredients. Seriously, life is too short for boring meals! These seared salmon bowls are anything but boring. The fresh ingredients create a wonderful blend of both bold and subtle flavors that I know you’ll love. Did I mention that these only take 25 minutes to make? Oh yes. You’re welcome.
My favorite part about this dish is the creamy lemon dill sauce. I mean, I love salmon, but life is really all about the sauce, am I right? The combination of fresh dill, garlic, and lemon is so simple, but so incredibly good. It’s like a party in your mouth. And the creaminess is exactly what you need to top off these bowls. I make this simple sauce all the time and love it on a variety of different things. Try it on chicken or even as a veggie dip! It’s super versatile.
I’ve made this recipe completely paleo and also low carb/keto-friendly by using cauliflower rice as the base. If you are an athlete and need more carbs, feel free to substitute white rice, black rice, or quinoa for the base (these substitutions are not paleo).
If you’ve never made cauliflower rice before, it is really easy to make with a food processor. My favorite method is to use the shredding disc attachment because it takes less than a minute to make the rice and the texture is really nice. For a food processor with the shredding disc attachment, check out the Cuisinart 11-cup food processor.
If you don’t have a shredding disc for your food processor, you can also use the regular blade attachment. Just chop the cauliflower by hand, then gently pulse the cauliflower pieces in the food processor. Mix with a sturdy spatula in between pulses. If you are using the blade attachment method, be sure not to make the texture too fine or you will end up with soggy cauliflower rice once you cook it.
Another option is to grate the cauliflower by hand with a cheese grater. It takes a little longer, but will give you similar results. Lastly, feel free to use pre-made cauliflower rice if you can find it! This will save a little time during prep and cleanup.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large head cauliflower (or 6 cups remade cauliflower rice)
- 12-16 oz salmon
- 3 Tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup kalamata olives, sliced
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, dill, garlic, and sea salt.
- While continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle in olive oil.
- Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- Rinse the salmon fillets under cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Make sure the salmon is really dry or else you will not get a good sear on the fillets. Sprinkle both sides with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make the cauliflower rice, use a food processor with a shredding disc attachment to shred the cauliflower into a rice texture. Alternately, the regular blade attachment of food processor can also be used. If you don't have a food processor, a cheese grater can be used to manually shred the cauliflower.
- Melt 2 Tbsp of the butter or ghee in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium. Add cauliflower rice and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season cauliflower rice to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove to serving bowls.
- Melt remaining 1 Tbsp butter or ghee in the skillet and increase heat to medium-high.
- Place the fillets in the pan and cook for about 4 minutes per side for fillets that are ¾-inch thick. Adjust cooking time based on the thickness of the fillets.
- Remove the fillets to the bowls, drizzle with the creamy lemon dill sauce, and top with green onions, kalamata olives, and parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Did you like the recipe? I’d love to hear from you in the comments section!
*Disclosure: Kit’s Coastal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.