Creamy alfredo sauce is one of my favorite comfort foods. The taste, texture, and richness are just so satisfying, especially after a long week. Of course, I always love to top my alfredo with some seafood and fresh herbs. So delicious.
This paleo alfredo is completely dairy free and also vegan! But don’t worry, it still has all the cheesy goodness of traditional alfredo. How is that possible, you ask? The secret is raw cashews and a bit of nutritional yeast. If you’ve never heard of nutritional yeast before, it may sound kinda gross. But, trust me, it’s amazing. Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast that is dairy-free and tastes like cheese! It is also packed with protein, B vitamins, and other nutrients. Nutritional yeast is perfect for getting that cheesy flavor that you want in a creamy, dreamy alfredo sauce. Oh yeahhhh.
This shrimp alfredo recipe is not only healthy and delicious, it is also super quick to make. All you need is 20 minutes. Not kidding. This meal can be on the table in no time and it will look and taste like you spent hours in the kitchen! Can you say date night? Chances are your date will have no idea it’s actually healthy.
- 1.5 lb raw shrimp, peeled
- 10 to 12 oz gluten-free pasta
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 8 hours or overnight
- 1½ cups water
- 6 large cloves garlic
- 2 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 6 Tbsp butter or ghee, divided
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Rinse shrimp with cold water and dry completely with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking you can proceed with making the alfredo.
- To make the alfredo, place cashews, water, garlic, vinegar, nutritional yeast, salt, and cayenne in a blender or large food processor. Blend on high for 2 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Melt 4 Tbsp butter or ghee in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Once the pan is hot, pour the cashew mixture into the saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, scraping the bottom and stirring about every 30 seconds.
- While the alfredo is cooking, you can cook the shrimp. Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter or ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the shrimp, one by one.
- Cook shrimp for about 1 minute per side, or until pink and opaque. Cooking time will vary based on the size of your shrimp.
- When the shrimp are done, remove to a plate.
- Return the pasta to the large pot and pour alfredo sauce over the pasta.
- Use tongs to gently mix and coat the pasta.
- Transfer to plates or a large serving platter, then top with shrimp and fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
How did you like the recipe? I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below!
*Disclosure: Kit’s Coastal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.