Best. Snack bar. Ever. Not even kidding here. These little gems are heavenly. Sweet and salty. Crunchy, yet soft. Healthy, yet decadent. What more could you want? Oh yeah, something paleo and vegan! You got it.
I knew I wanted to make a snack bar that combined some of my favorite ingredients: chocolate, macadamia nuts, vanilla, and coconut. What I didn’t know is that the result would be so damn delicious. These actually taste like a dessert. Think Lärabars, but on steroids.
Now, let’s talk calorie content for a second. I’m not going to lie to you and say these are a low calorie snack. Definitely not. They are packed with healthy fats, as well as natural sugar from the dates. I certainly wouldn’t eat more than one of these at a time. However, in moderation these bars can be a great snack for days when you want to treat yourself. And believe me, they are worth every calorie. Every single one.
It is worth noting that these do have less sugar than most commercial snack bars, including the so-called healthy ones! Plus, plenty of healthy fats and fiber to satisfy that mid-afternoon hunger.
Now that we’ve made it painfully clear that these are not a diet food and more of a treat (sorry!), let’s move on to the recipe!
- ½ cup (75 g) raw almonds
- 1 cup (130 g) roasted & salted macadamia nuts, divided
- 1½ cup (90 g) unsweetened coconut flakes, divided
- 1½ cup (210 g) pitted Medjool dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 100 g dairy-free dark chocolate, melted
- Prepare an 8"x6" baking dish (or a dish of similar surface area) with parchment paper. Cut 2 strips of parchment paper to fit the dish and form overlapping sides with some overhang. This makes the bars easier to remove later. Set the dish aside.
- Place the raw almonds, ½ cup of the macadamia nuts, and 1 cup of the coconut flakes in the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend in 2 second pulses until you get a medium/fine crumb that starts to stick together a bit (as shown in the picture above). This should take about 2 minutes.
- Pour the nut mixture into a medium-sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place the dates and vanilla in the food processor and blend for about 1 minute or until it forms a ball.
- Break up the ball a bit using a sturdy spatula.
- Add in the nut mixture, sea salt, and dark cocoa powder.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until well combined. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Use the spatula to move the mixture to the baking dish.
- Press and flatten the mixture into the dish using your hands. Create a nice even, compact layer.
- Drizzle about a third of the melted chocolate on top using a spoon. This layer will help the extra coconut and macadamia nuts stick to the top.
- Place the other ½ cup macadamia nuts and ½ cup coconut flakes on top and press them in a little with your fingers.
- Refrigerate the bars for 1 hour.
- Using the parchment paper overhang, lift the block of nutty chocolatey goodness out of the dish and place on a cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, slice into 10 bars.
- Separate the bars and drizzle with the remaining dark chocolate.
- Store under refrigeration for up to 5 days.
How did you like the recipe? I’d love to hear from you in the comments section!