Is there anything better than walking into a warm house filled with the smell of delicious holiday spices? Ahhhhhh. And in just a few short hours you too could be sipping on delicious hot apple cider and enjoying a wonderfully fragrant home. Bonus points for a roaring fireplace and cozy slippers.
This recipe takes very little prep time (about 5 minutes!) and is so easy to make in your slow cooker. Just throw in all the ingredients and let it go! No need to babysit it. I love how easy it is to make AND the fact that it’s sweetened with healthier sweeteners: coconut sugar and maple syrup!
Remember what I said about your house smelling amazing?? Well, imagine the delight on your guests’ faces when they arrive at your next party! This recipe is perfect for a party because it can be made ahead of time and just reheated and left in the Crock-Pot to keep warm during the party. Perfect for a festive holiday party or even for game day! This recipe fits in a 4-qt Crock-Pot and makes about 7 cups. You may want to double the recipe and use a larger slow cooker if you are making it for a crowd.
I love this cider as-is, but it’s also the perfect base for a boozy holiday treat. It pairs well with rum or bourbon. You can also serve it cold with champagne for a fun holiday mimosa! Yum!
Now for some cooking notes: I like to remove the cinnamon and oranges before blending up the mixture (at the 3-hour mark). If you leave them in it could give the cider a bitter aftertaste. Better to avoid that.
For a lower carb option, try replacing the coconut sugar and maple syrup with monk fruit sweetener or monk fruit syrup. Or a combination of both! You could also try sweetening with liquid stevia, but I would recommend monk fruit for this recipe. It just has a richer flavor, more similar to those flavors you get from coconut sugar and maple syrup.
- 6 apples (mix of different varieties), cored and sliced
- 1 naval orange, sliced
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp whole clove buds
- 1 tsp allspice berries
- ¼ cup packed coconut sugar (43g)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 7 cups water
- Place all ingredients into your slow cooker and then pour the water over the top.
- Place the lid on and cook on high for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove the cinnamon sticks and orange slices. If the slow cooker is really full, remove a little bit of water using a ladle (keep it to add back in though!!).
- Use a hand blender to blend everything into a slurry. It doesn't need to be completely smooth. Alternately, you can use a potato masher to mash everything up if you don't have a hand blender.
- Add the rest of the liquid back in. Discard the cinnamon and orange slices.
- Replace the top and cook for 1 more hour on high.
- Strain through a mesh sieve or cheesecloth.
- Serve right away, place it back into the slow cooker to keep warm, or chill in the refrigerator.
Did you like the recipe? Let me know in the comments section below!
*Disclosure: Kit’s Coastal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Affiliate programs like this help me keep this blog up and running. When you purchase through an affiliate link I receive a small commission. So, if you love the blog and you’d like to support me, then you know what to do 🙂